Heeeeere's Johnny!

Posted by Leah Marie King Leah Marie King
I recently released a music video to my blues-rock song "Wrong One", and as expected, the horse that I'm riding in the video received more attention than me or the song... well, almost anyways. ;-)

So, let me introduce Johnny.

Johnny's registered name is Hezatheonefritz and he is a 5 year old American Quarter Horse that I bought from Nielsen's Performance Horses just south of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  I fell in love with this little guy the moment I rode him.  He was three years old when I met him, gangly and just started under saddle.  I fell in love with his mind first; so level-headed and easy going, smarter than your average person, and his beady eyes always watch you even when he's not looking at you directly.

When I moved to Nashville he came along for the ride... a five day drive.  The further south we got the hotter it became and the U.S. was actually in a heat wave at the time.  When we left Calgary it was 56 degrees, by the time we hit South Dakota it was in the 100's.  When we hit Nashville it was 104 degrees with 70% humidity.  Johnny and the two other horses that came along for the ride (and the dog and cat in the cab of the truck with me) were wondering where the hell I'd brought them to.  However, the lush, rich, knee-high Tennessee blue grass quickly gained the horses' attention and the heat became bearable as they stood around eating for two weeks soaked in sweat until they acclimatized (which horses are phenomenally good at).

Johnny has been my pal ever since the day we met.  Loyal, willing, smart, playful, sensitive, calm, athletic, just a pure joy to be around.  He does have a cheeky side and he's not a "anybody can ride him" type of a horse.  At times he's too smart for his own good and I have known him to take merciless advantage of people unless I'm around to keep a stern eye on him.  He has been known to eat brooms, knock things over for fun, he poked his head through a window screen and tore it to shreds, he leans on the farrier and can be a general brat.  And all the more I love him for it!

But when it comes down to business there's no other horse I'd turn to.  Whether it's checking the pastures, sorting cattle, or heading out for a long trail ride, he's my man.  He even won me my first Ranch Sorting competition last year!  It is not very often you meet one-of-a-kinds, but that he certainly is.

And here he is in action:

3 Comments

Angela Jackson Angela Jackson

Re: Heeeeere's Johnny!

Johnny is such a handsome fellow.  I love the video!!!  Can't wait to see you Saturday.
Taylor Taylor

Re: Heeeeere's Johnny!

Hi, my name is Taylor and in mid-December I was lucky enough to buy Johnny (now named Ronan) from a kind woman in Kentucky. Just for fun I decided to google his registered name and was excited to find the person who owned him previously! He's doing fabulous although he was very out of shape when we got him he's muscling up nicely! Still the same quirky personality lol we get along fabulously I love him a ton and he may have just found his long term hopefully forever home:)
Leah Marie King Leah Marie King

Re: Heeeeere's Johnny!

Hi Taylor

Thanks, I very much appreciate the update on Johnny.  I am happy to hear that he is getting back into shape and may have a forever home.  He is a great horse with an excellent personality.

Regards

Mark

On 03/04/17 07:37 AM, Taylor [via Leah Marie King] wrote:
Hi, my name is Taylor and in mid-December I was lucky enough to buy Johnny (now named Ronan) from a kind woman in Kentucky. Just for fun I decided to google his registered name and was excited to find the person who owned him previously! He's doing fabulous although he was very out of shape when we got him he's muscling up nicely! Still the same quirky personality lol we get along fabulously I love him a ton and he may have just found his long term hopefully forever home:)

http://leah-marie-king.51868.x6.nabble.com/Heeeeere-s-Johnny-tp3p17.html
To unsubscribe from Heeeeere's Johnny!, click here.
NAML